Friday, May 21, 2010

Transformations #8

One of my coworkers is quitting today, so our boss, her, and I went to Sushi Cushi for lunch a couple days ago for a farewell meal.  I've never been to a sushi restaurant before and have never eaten sushi.  I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and while the concept of raw fish doesn't gross me out like it does some people, it simply doesn't appeal to me.

I wouldn't call it a comfort zone issue.  There's a part of me that views eating sushi as a hip & modern trend practiced by yuppies and other people who are trying to "find themselves."  Since I know exactly where I am, I have no desire to assume the label of sushi eater.

I'm not a sushiphobe.  Many of my good friends eat sushi.  I just know it's not for me.

So going to a sushi place was an opportunity for me not only to support my friend as she embarks on a new journey in her life, but also an opportunity for me to try something that I have absolutely no interest in.

I ordered a chicken stirfry.  I did use chopsticks to eat it, until my hand started to cramp.  I viewed this as a big enough triumph for me, but my lunchmates disagreed and said that I couldn't use the incident as a transformation post unless I at least tried the sushi.

Throughout my life, I've always resisted peer pressure.  This time, I gave in.

I downed a lump of the stuff and could have sworn I felt it squirm around in my stomach in protest.  I still don't care for sushi.  But ultimately, I tried it and thus did something new and transformative, even if it was in a small way.

This groundbreaking event warrants its own new type of transformation category: fullness, as in experiencing life to its fullest by opening oneself to new experiences.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but must be on topic. Spam, hateful/obscene remarks, and shameless self-promotion will be unceremoniously deleted. Well, OK, I might put on a little ceremony when I delete them.