Tuesday, April 11, 2006

All Flesh Shall See the Salvation of God

Great news! Martin Havlat is back in the Senators' lineup, after missing four months due to shoulder surgery. His first game back will be against the Leafs on Holy Saturday.

As I'll be at the Easter Vigil, I'm not going to see it. I could skip the vigil, as I'm going on Easter morning too...

A friend from work, who hates the Leafs as much as I do, offered for me to go over to his place and watch the game on his BIG SCREEN TV!

This is starting to get tempting.

"Come on Jesus, you must be hungry. Turn those stones to bread, and eat up!" Remember who said that?

Next I'll bet my friend wins a massive cheese platter (I love cheese) and says we can eat it together while we watch the game. He'll probably have some Coke too.

I read some St. Gregory Nazianzen from the Liturgy of the Hours today:

We must sacrifice ourselves to God, each day and in everything we do, accepting all that happens to us for the sake of the Word, imitating his passion by our sufferings, and honoring his blood by shedding our own. We must be ready to be crucified.


Believe it or not, giving up watching this game is a big sacrifice for me. But not too big. I must remind myself of the joy to be found in the Easter Vigil; of the supremacy of Christ in all things. Hockey won't matter in heaven. But we all have our worldly attachments; is not Lent a time to rend those things away, if even for a season?

If even for an evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but must be on topic. Spam, hateful/obscene remarks, and shameless self-promotion will be unceremoniously deleted. Well, OK, I might put on a little ceremony when I delete them.