Sunday, August 27, 2006

Testimony

This time yesterday, I was in a miserable mood. I won't explain the full details, but I was angry, lonely, sad, the whole gamut of negative emotions.

Fortunately, I was able to refrain from doing anything stupid.

I didn't feel like praying, so I prayed. I had no words of my own, so I used the ones in the Liturgy of the Hours. My misery was significant enough throughout the day that I was able to spread it out for both mid-day prayer,

More tortuous than all else is the human heart,
beyond remedy; who can understand it?
I, the Lord, alone probe the mind
and test the heart
To reward everyone according to his ways,
according to the merit of his deeds.

Jer. 17:9-10


and night prayer:

When I call, answer me, O God of justice;
from anguish you released me; have mercy and hear me!

from Psalm 4


Today, of course, things are much better. On bad days one tends to think the bad-ness of the day will never end; in a way, one may even wish to hold on to it.

But God is good, and he answers prayer. He knows the torment of my heart, and he has mercy and hears me.

Thanks, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but must be on topic. Spam, hateful/obscene remarks, and shameless self-promotion will be unceremoniously deleted. Well, OK, I might put on a little ceremony when I delete them.