Monday, June 25, 2007

Not the Paperwork!

CTV National News tonight had a piece on how the federal government wants to ease restrictions on foreign peace officers who follow the quarries into Canada. The big hubbub is over how easy it will be for these police, rangers, or air marshals to bring their weapons with them.

It didn't take much digging for them to find a politician opposed to this plan. They quote NDP justice critic Joe Comartin saying, "Canadians aren't generally speaking enamoured with guns. I don't think they'll be very happy to find out foreign police forces are operating in our country, armed."

Yes sir! If you say so sir! I thought I was enamored with guns, but you've proclaimed otherwise, so okey dokey! That's right, Mr. FBI man, if you're hot on the tail of a serial rapist and he crosses the border, you have to ensure you stop at the booth and fill out form T37-TE9. And don't forget subsection HL004, which has to be in essay form. In triplicate! And spell "harbour" with a U!

Then the report went on to say that foreign police could potentially be coming into Canada having filled out less paperwork. Oh horror of horrors.

I don't know about them, but I like to try to use less paper in my life, and I really don't appreciate a national newscast trying to promote use of more paper. I know what's really going on here - CTV news is in the pocket of Big Pulp & Paper.

And they wonder why there's so much cynicism around us.

1 comment:

  1. And spell "harbour" with a U!


    Brilliant!

    And don't forget to take them straight to gaol afterwards. :P

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome, but must be on topic. Spam, hateful/obscene remarks, and shameless self-promotion will be unceremoniously deleted. Well, OK, I might put on a little ceremony when I delete them.